At the writing of this post my kids are 4 and 8. Both have learned the Lord’s prayer and have been quoting it each night from memory for quite some time now. The Lord’s Prayer, or as it is also called, the Model Prayer can be found in Matthew 6:9-13 where Jesus teaches his follower how to pray. Here are 10 reasons why I found it important for my kids memorize this (each one memorized it around age 3 before they could read).
10. So when some genius says, “the sinner’s prayer isn’t in even in the scripture” they can just start quoting scripture… “Thy Kingdom come… Forgive us our sins” (Maybe I’ll teach them Psalm 51 as well).
9. I don’t think they will come up with anything cooler on their own since this is the way that Jesus taught the disciples how to pray.
8. To improve and expand upon their capacity to memorize information.
7. To help hide scripture in their heart that is obviously both immediately relevant and applicable.
6. To provide a reference point for teachable moments… “It’s like we say in the Lord’s prayer…”
5. To give them confidence in prayer.
4.So they learn forgiveness through remembering what it is like to be forgiven.
3. So the will learn to be Kingdom focused rather than self-centered in their prayers
2. The Lord’s Prayer is a map straight to the heart and character of God.
1. So That They might Know God. (both at times have prayed on their own small childlike prayers of faith for the forgiveness of their sins and to follow God based on the Lord’s prayer).